Saturday, June 6, 2009

Mother's job

Our job as mothers and fathers is to raise our children to eventually not need us. Right? So why do all the little steps they take away from us hurt so much??

Tomorrow, C goes for his first sleep-away church camp. Sunday through Friday. I've got him all packed with toiletries, clothes, Bible, swim trunks. I've got him psyched up and excited and ready to go. Now I just have to let him go. Just. Just. Just let him go. That's all. I'm ready. I think.

This August, my baby girl starts school. I am definitely conflicted on this one. But I just have to let her go. She's ready. She can write her alphabet, mostly. Can read some words. She's psyched up, excited and ready to go. I'll just have to let her go. Just. Just. Let. Her. Go. Ugh.

On WAY FM today, there was a commercial for their college finder website. They said "It's never too early to think about college." So I thought about it. Yikes. I have to let them go for THAT long?? No, wait. I have to let them go forever? Just let them go???? At least I have a while to think about this one.

I wonder how hard it was for God to let Jesus become man. Knowing that he would suffer and die. Knowing the hardships of human life, the sins that He would bear for people who definitely don't deserve it. To just let Him go. Knowing that was the best thing to do. Knowing that it was the right thing to do. Knowing He would come back, someday. Surely it was hard to let go.

1 comment:

Cainan & Ryker said...

I agree. It's tough sometimes. I was confessing in Sunday School the other day that maybe I don't pray as much as I should. I told the class that I don't pray for my kids to do well in school...I usually just think "Well, if they've done their job and paid attention in class and studied hard then they'll do fine." I never think about praying that they'll retain their knowledge of be able to relax as they take the test, etc.

Another man in the class with two twenty something daughters said, "Just wait until they're away at college and that's all you can do."

Good point.